16 October 2005

Jamming...

I tricked a couple of friends into joining me at Butler's Orchard in Germantown, MD this afternoon. After a week of gloom and rain, everyone seemed happy to be out in the country air, enjoying the sunshine, right up until I handed them quart baskets and made them pick six containers of raspberries (yes, those are thorns).

Half the fun was watching everyone heading to the pumpkin festival, complete with pumpkin train. Everyone in a 50 mile radius with an SUV and a kid was trying to get to the pumpkin festival or park at the farm market. After picking all our raspberries (and explaining to about 20 people that you get containers at the market and then go back there to pay), we headed back to the market and bought apples and concord grapes.

Eight hours later, I have 27 jars of raspberry jam. (Act suprised at Christmas when you get jam.) Tomorrow I have to buy more jars so I can make grape jelly for the first time.

Butler's is my favorite place for pick your own fruit - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. When you're checking out , be sure to grab a couple of homemade caramels.

The pumpkin festival runs through the end of the month, and later in the year, they have cut your own Christmas trees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home