19 October 2005

U2 @ MCI

In case you've been wondering where I've been this week, the short answer is I've been at a U2 concert - three or (with luck) four times this week, that's where you'll find me.

Every concert is different, with different songs and a different flavor. Tonight was no exception with For the First Time and an acoustic Stuck in a Moment as differences from the last show. I'm still waiting for Gloria and Bad - I seem to miss those nights.

But knowing your audience is always important, and Bono knows that here in DC, he has the attention of the policy wonks who work on issues like AIDs, debt relief and fair trade. Not one to pass up an opportunity, Bono convinced Larry to "put down his drumsticks and not interrupt" while he ran on, but Larry did time him and let him know that One ran 15 minutes tonight.

What I've found most amusing is that Bono has taken to begging water from the audience rather than waiting for someone to bring him a drink when he's out on the ellipse. The fans on the floor are always happy enough to oblige but it still makes me laugh.

I was on the Club level tonight (section 217) with an end seat and a great view. Interesting though that the club level was full of people who sat through the entire concert (some even tried to convince people in front of them to sit down) and wore ear plugs (just the red foamy ones, not even good ones). The vibe up there was a far cry from the true believers on the floor and inside the ellipse.

I'm still looking for a ticket for tomorrow night, if you have an extra...

2 Comments:

Blogger muserella said...

Hey, thanks for the tidbits on last night's show. It got me jazzed about going tonight. I hope you are able to score that ticket. I'm wondering...how was the opening act? What time did U2 finally come on? When did the show end? I'm a little worried about getting back on the Metro before it closes... Thanks again for the bit about the water.

6:47 AM  
Blogger lucky charms said...

Damian Marley is opening. U2 comes on around 9 (it's the 2nd song after the Cure). Show ends around 11 p.m. (after 40) and Metro had empty trains rolling into the station right after the show, so it worked well.

And thanks, I did get a floor ticket for tonight, so I'll see you there!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home