08 June 2006

The Unblinking Eye

At least that's what I always think of when I think of documentary filmmaking. The American Film Institute (AFI) is hosting their annual Silver Docs film festival at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring (with support from their new neighbor, the Discovery Channel) June 13 - 18.

Martin Scorcese is a featured panelist, but unfortunately his session is sold out (and before coquette cutie and I could grab tickets). We are planning to see Air Guitar Nation about the international air guitar championship (yes, you read that correctly). I missed it at Tribeca Film Festival and it's been getting some interesting buzz. Last year, we saw The Aristocrats (you know, a guy walks into a talent agent and says, "Have I got an act for you"). I was also thinking of Soweto Blues.

It looks like they have a good lineup, and it's defintely worth a visit to Silver Spring if you haven't been lately. It's not like you remember it. Mayorga Coffee is a terrific, locally-owned coffee shop - an offshoot of the local importers and roasters.

Now if only Ray's the Classics (the second location of Ray's the Steaks) would finally open....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home